This week was one of the craziest and busiest weeks I have seen at MoCA yet. With Building 6 opening on May 28th and the CAKE performance that same night, everyone was in a frenzy to make sure the weekend went off without a hitch, Personally, I spent the first part of the week learning the ticketing program and actually putting it into practice. I found time after customer service training and was even given an exclusively selling shift in order to get familiar with the program and learn how to talk to patrons and sell them their tickets. This definitely helped for Sunday when I would be in the box office selling CAKE and museum tickets on that incredibly busy day. There were obviously things I did not know how to do but everyone I asked for help from was always extremely calm and helpful and patient with me despite how crazy everything was.
I also started my tour guide/info desk training this week. I got a complete route tour of the museum in order to see how the brochures should be delivered to each exhibit. I was also given a handout with a basic list of responsibilities and tasks required for an info desk shift. Because of another task I was given this week, I was already relatively familiar with the basement where the brochures were kept.
Earlier in the week, I was sent to count the brochures for each artist and file them on the shelves neatly. I also had to consolidate the brochures behind the info desk and archive some to make room for new brochures at the desk as well as the new system being implemented for patrons to find information on the artists.
MoCA now has an app that includes a map, information, art history, and history of MoCA specifically. I was lucky enough to be able to test drive the app and report back any glitches or possible improvements. Because of that experience, when explaining to patrons how to use the app, I have first hand knowledge and will be able to speak more intelligently on it.
This was my first full-time week at MASS MoCA. This week was pretty much set on compiling the mailing list, assembling their registration packets, and mailing them out. The trickiest part of this was creating the labels for the envelopes. There is a template that Meghan Gleason can send you that is supposed to correlate with the label paper we order, however, the printer is a little skewed and the labels do not print correctly. Usually the top half of the labels will print correctly and the bottom half will slant. My best advice is to only print half a sheet worth of labels and then flip the page to print another half. This worked the best and gave me properly formatted labels after trying hundreds of other ways.
After the registration packets were mailed out, I sent an email to everyone on the mailing list informing them that they would receive their packets shortly and their other materials would be available for pick up at the campground registration tent.
This week it is also important to start compiling the list of supplies needed at the campground so that Keifer can order them.
The rest of the week was spent taking tours of the new building 6 before it opens. This was really helpful as it gave me a brief overview that will help me when it is all reiterated during my tour guide training. I’m very excited to start learning about the museum’s art more completely and be able to translate this information to MoCA’s guests.
This week was also spent preparing for the CAKE concert and going over our schedule’s/responsibilities day of.
This week is not only finals week, but also a busy week at MoCA as well. My first two shifts this week consisted of training in the tessitura ticketing system. There’s so much to cover as well as things to remember so although at first it seemed overwhelming, I’m confident with more hands-on training and practice I will be able to catch on quickly.
After the ticket training, Jacob and I spent Wednesday painting the signs for our campgrounds. We picked out a deep green and it took us about an hour to coat them all once. Later this week, we will be distressing them with sandpaper and a black paint wash to age them. In about two weeks, the vinyl lettering will be ready and we can transfer it onto the signs.
To finish the week, I started to look into the accounts of the guests who purchased plots at Solid Ground to see if they preferred to be mailed their registration packets or if they wanted to pick them up at will call. After using tessitura to search that information, I had to then take all the guests that wanted mailed registration packets and create mailing labels for them. I recommend taking the list of guests and having a master sheet then creating another sheet with just mailers and another with just will call for convenience. Then off the mailer sheet you can start to write up the labels. There is a template for the labels that Meghan Gleason has access to. After the labels are made, print one sheet just to make sure the formatting is correct.
Editing, editing, editing. This is the week when a lot of the materials made start to come back with edits which means I have to carefully comb through my documents and make sure they edited accordingly. This can be tedious but it is important that all the materials have their information agree and that it is written in the most concise and effective way possible. After I get a draft with edits back, I mark which draft it is and then I place it in my binder for safe keeping so I can see my progress evolve from the first draft to the final copy. So far, I have made edits to the information sheet for the registration packets as well as the first email that will be sent to the campers letting them know how they will receive their registration packets. This gets me one step closer to being able to assemble the registration packets and mail them out!